Amiel Segal, Behavior Intervention Therapist / Psychologist M.S, PD
Over 30 years of success as a behavior management therapist working effectively with children, teenagers, and older adolescents with severe behavioral challenges in New York public schools, residential facilities, and home environments. Amiel reaches students considered as unworkable using unique strategies, focusing on helping them reduce anger, aggressive behavior, and oppositional defiant outbursts by establishing necessary coping skills that minimize their anxiety and fear. He provides gentle but firm, non-physical structured programs offering abundance of interest and positive feedback. He has extensive experience working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Bipolar Disorder, and Attention Deficit Disorder and is a published national journal author.
Amiel Segal counsels teenagers and young adults with severe behavior disorders and provides home-based services for patients in Seaford as well as surrounding areas on Long Island such as Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Amityville, Lindenhurst, Levittown, Hempstead, Farmingdale, East Meadow, Uniondale, Westbury, Hicksville, Garden City, Great Neck, Manhasset, Freeport, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Oceanside, Franklin Square and Copaigue.
Areas of Expertise:
- Applied Behavior Analysis Therapy
- Psychological Evaluations
- Behavioral Intervention Plans
- Functional Behavioral Analysis
- Individual and Group Counseling
- Parent Training IEPs / 504 Mandates
- Crisis Intervention
- Patient Education
- Team Collaboration
Work ExperienceBEHAVIORAL THERAPIST, Corinthian Therapy Management Services, Garden City, NY
2006 - Present
- Work with children with behavioral challenges, including full Austism / ASD spectrum, Conduct Disorder (CD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD).
- Apply modeling, psycho-education and intervention strategies while fostering sense of independence and social confidence in clients. Provide strategies to improve their behavioral skills and promote emotional health and physcial well-being.
- Manage assessments / intakes, formulate treatment plans, facilitate goal planning, and document objectives.
SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST, Nassau BOCES, Wantagh, NY
1986 - 2015
- Collaborated with educational and administrative teams to develop and implement Individualized Education.
- Programs (IEPs) for chuldren with special needs in schools.
- Conducted behavioral assessments and developed Behavior Intervention Plans for children and youth, ages 5-21.
- Facilitated training, interventions, and counseling in compliance with IEP and 504 mandates.
- Coordinated and facilitated follow-up sessions with parents, caregivers, teachers, and paraprofessionals regarding assessment results and behavioral plans.
- Actively participated in professional development courses, team meetings, and special education committees.
Additional experience as Executive Director of Avalon School, New York, NY.
- Behavioral Health Continuing Education Coursework, Harvard School of Medicine / Cambridge Health Alliance
- Master of Science in Psychology & Special Education, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- Additional Graduate Courses in Psychology. NYU. Manhattan, NY
- Professional Diploma in Education Administration & Supervision in Special Education. College of New Rochelle, New Rochelle, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology & Special Education, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- School Psychologist Certification / Special Education Certification, NYSED
Amiel Segal is affiliated with:
- Response to Intervention Team (RTI)
- Committee on Special Education (CSE)
- Abrams, Brian & Segal, Amiel, Preventing Aggresive Behavior, Ó Sage Journals, First published March 1, 1998.
- Preventing Aggressive Behavior
Back to top