School IssuesBased on teacher and parent reports, about 1 in 6 students had enough behavioral or emotional symptoms and impairment to be diagnosed with a childhood mental disorder; rates varied among the different sites. Schools, communities, and healthcare providers can use this information to plan for the healthcare and school service needs of children and adolescents with mental disorders. Screening, identifying, and referring children and adolescents to effective treatments can help prevent or lower the negative effects of mental disorders.
Helping Children in School
- Schools may consider screening students for mental health concerns and providing effective prevention services.
- Pediatric and family medicine clinics can use these estimates to understand how many students may need services.
- Communities can work with schools to integrate mental health services in schools and provide referral and treatment services.
- Public health can use these estimates to plan for healthcare and school service needs, as well as to watch changes over time.
When teachers provide clear and consistent expectations for behavior in the classroom and take actions to promote positive, pro-social behaviors, students report a stronger sense of connectedness to school and their peers.
Students felt more connected to their peers and school when they reported that:
- Students are given clear instructions about how to do their work in classes.
- Teachers make a point of sticking to the rules in classes.
- When students are acting up in class, the teacher will address it.
- Students understand consequences for breaking a rule.
Amiel Segal counsels children and teenagers who are struggling in school. He provides at-home therapy throughout Long Island, NY and in nearby towns such as Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Hempstead, Uniondale, Merrick, East Meadow, Lindenhurst, Copaigue, New Hyde Park, Williston Park, Franklin Square, Freeport, Lynbrook, Oceanside, Farmingdale, Lawrence, Hewlett, Island Park, Rockville Centre, Levittown, Amityville, Westbury, Hicksville, Garden City, Great Neck, Manhasset, Bellmore, Long Beach, Glen Cove, Bethpage, Syosset, Plainview, Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Melville, and Valley Stream.
Back to top